MOODY — The city council approved more than $100,000 to begin work on the completion of the city’s sewer system at the council meeting Monday night.
The council unanimously approved payments of $62,348 and $59,848.20 to pay for the first scope of work for sewage pumping, and for engineering fees, respectively, to work that will connect the portion of the system that serves Argo to the plant in Margaret. The city’s Governmental Utility Services Board will make the two payments, which should be reimbursed as part of the state’s Clean Water Revolving Loan Fund.
Mayor Joe Lee said the project would go out for bid toward the end of the month.
“My understanding is that we will pay and be reimbursed once the funds (from the state) are disbursed,” Lee said. “The funds can’t be disbursed until it’s bid.”
The council also approved a motion authorizing Lee, who also serves as chairman of the GUS Board, to approve, handle and satisfy all future financial requests on the project. Lee said he would submit monthly reports to the council, which will be available to the public.
“We need to be able to take care of bills as they come in,” he said. “There will be weekly bills that have to be satisfied.”
In other business, the council:
• Made the following department head appointments: Thomas Hunt as police chief; Joe Nobles as fire chief; Patsy Beard as city clerk; Mike Staggs as Park and Recreation director; Wayne Taylor as Public Works Department inspector. The council also approved Hunt’s recommendation to promote Daniel Praytor to captain.
• Reappointed Joe Kelly as Moody’s representative on the St. Clair County Economic Development Council.
• Approved $825 to renew the Heritage Quest database at the Doris L. Stanley Memorial Library.
• Approved $458.08 to pay for Taylor to attend the National Inspectors Conference in Auburn.
• Approved $150 for a supervisor school hosted by the police department.
• Approved $398.69 to replace the igniter module on the heater at the public works building.
• Approved $431.96 for purchase of four tires for a police vehicle.
• Approved $406.31 for repairs to Fire Engine No. 1.
• Approved $283.34 for purchase of latex gloves.
• Approved the minutes of the Dec. 17 regular meeting.
• Set a special work session for Jan. 21 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.