“So far, the number of total volunteers is looking great,” said Bud Kitchin, chairman of the annual LMLPA lake cleanup. “We have probably had 350 volunteers so far, which was as expected.”
The LMLPA lake cleanup will continue through Saturday. The cleanup is part of the Alabama Power Company’s “Renew Our Rivers” program, which involves thousands of volunteers and takes place on many lakes in Alabama and the southeast.
Kitchin said some volunteer sites have had more volunteers than last year, and some have had fewer.
“There are many teams that will just participate on Saturday,” he said. “We have well over 200 people expected Saturday, not counting the volunteers who just show up unannounced.”
Kitchin said he is hoping for a record volunteer turnout.
“I also want to please remind everyone that the lake trash goes in specially-marked Renew Our Rivers bags and needs to be returned to the dumpster collection sites,” he said. “We take the weight of the trash collected at the sites, and the success of the cleanup is measured by the weight of trash in those dumpsters.”
Individuals wishing to volunteer for the big push Saturday should go to a convenient collection site between 8-9 a.m. LMLPA representatives will issue the T-shirts, bags and latex gloves. After working the morning hours, volunteers are invited to a free cleanup celebration picnic from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday at Lakeside Landing.
“Steve Shafer is the entertainment/emcee for our picnic this year,” Kitchin said. “He is back again by popular demand and does a fantastic job.”
There are five collection sites this year. Individuals with questions regarding the sites may call:
• Lakeside Landing- call Linda Ruethemann at 205-525-1268 or Charles Alexander at 205-913-6623.
• Clear Creek Marina- call Justin Hogeland at 205-516-4595.
• Poor House Branch Marina- call Ron Vaughan at 256-268-9156 or 256-761-5355.
• Battle’s Riverside Marina- call Cliff Early at 205-338-4095 or 205-706-5141.
• Lincoln residents should also use Riverside Marina – call Larry Davis at 205-763-0353 or 205-441-4173.
• Woods Surfside Marina- call Mike Riley at 205-525-5309 or 205-531-2372.
For more information or to volunteer call Bud Kitchin at 256-239-0242 or visit www.LMPLA.org,.
Contact Elsie Hodnett at email@example.com.