The first is an amendment to the business license ordinance, requiring an annual fee of $50 from the renter, as well as 3 percent of gross receipts over $3,000. City attorney Bill Weathington told the council that the provision excludes hotels and motels, mini-warehouses and any person who rents only one dwelling.
The council also passed an amendment to the ordinance related to recreation, to include such facilities as “a movie theater or a bowling alley,” Weathington said. Such facilities are now required to pay a $50 annual fee, as well as 3 percent of gross receipts. In addition, the city placed a sales tax on tickets at such facilities, of 3 percent per ticket.
“We don’t have anything in the city right now that falls under this (designation),” mayor Joe Lee said. “We could have something like this eventually.”
All the ordinance amendments required and received unanimous consent from the council.
In other business, the council:
• Tabled a first reading for the city’s noise ordinance. Lee set a work session for Thursday, Jan. 6, at 5:30 p.m. for further discussion.
• Approved $450 for replacement of manhole covers which have been stolen around the city.
• Approved $5,685 for purchase of a heating unit at the Doris Stanley Memorial Library.
• Approved the prorated Municipal Storm Water permit for 2010, at a cost of $5,143.10. Moody shares the permit with four other cities.
• Approved $300 for repair to the alarm system at city hall.
• Approved $701.72 for replacement of the crankshaft oil seal and correcting diagnostic codes for the fire department’s rescue vehicle.
• Approved $393.12 for purchase of uniforms for Chris Slaughter and Jim Curtis with the Moody Fire Department.
• Approved $251.14 for items for Drug Abuse Resistance Education.
• Approved $110.85 for three taser holsters.
• Approved $37 for one training pistol.
• Approved $337.50 for the police department’s Law Enforcement Training Service.
• Approved moving the Jan. 10 council meeting to 5 p.m.
• Approved minutes of the meeting that took place Monday, Nov. 22.
Contact Will Heath at email@example.com.