PELL CITY — The St. Clair County Commission approved a third round of potential road projects to send to Montgomery for the Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program at its regular meeting Tuesday.
The program — which uses federal highway money to back a bond issue that will support $1 billion in roadway improvements across the state — has already approved one St. Clair project: resurfacing of St. Clair 26. St. Clair County engineer Dan Dahlke said he has already submitted five more road projects for the second “round” of the program.
On Tuesday, commissioners approved a third “round” of proposals, of 16 road projects that total over 86 miles of roadway. Dahlke said the county’s total proposed to the state will be over $26 million, with a local match required of 20 percent.
“This is a good program,” Commissioner Paul Manning said. “We are going to have to give some thought to how we produce our 20 percent match. We will discuss that further shortly.”
Roads on Tuesday’s list were as follows: Double Bridge Road, Kerr Road, Mountain View Road, Camp Creek Road, Old Coal City Road, Greensport Road, Old Springville Road, Shoal Creek Road, Kelly Creek Road, Shanghai Road, Wolf Creek Road North, Chandler Mountain Road, St. Clair 26 (the Ashville end), St. Clair 21, St. Clair 22 and St. Clair 31.
The road projects — assuming they are approved — will be in the hands of private contractors, and will be approved over the span of five years.
In other business, the commission:
• Appointed Mike Fricker to the St. Clair County Airport Authority; Gary Smith to the New London Water, Sewer and Fire Authority; and Chairman Stan Batemon as the county’s representative to the Community Action Agency of Northeast Alabama.
• Approved a budget amendment to the county’s general fund of $1,327.33, to fund the difference for repairs to Paint Rock Cemetery. The total repair estimate is $7,500, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency approved funding of $6,422.27.
• Named Rena Brown to fill the vacant accounting clerk position, following the retirement of Sharyn Jackson. The commission also posted the vacancy for administrative assistant.
• Approved a recommendation to post the vacancies for an occasional deputy and occasional jailer.
• Approved a gate for the drive going into the old rescue building.
• Accepted the resignation of Carolyn Stern from the St. Clair County Library Board.
• Approved the minutes of the Jan. 8 regular meeting.
• Approved payment of monthly bills.